Visitors and Non-residents

Information on what to do if you are not a resident in the province/territory in which you own the vehicle...

If a person is a resident in a particular province/territory, they must register their vehicle in that jurisdiction. There is usually a time limit which stipulates the maximum length of time (normally three to six months) that a visitor can stay in a particular jurisdiction without registering the vehicle there. All vehicles must be insured and a permanent address in Canada is required before a vehicle can be insured. US motorists can obtain a 'Yellow Card' or a 'Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card' which allows US residents to drive in Canada but be covered by the minimum insurance regulations. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles has more details on importing a vehicle from the United States Further details about the Yellow card can be obtained from the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators (CCIR):
  • CCIR At: 5160 Yonge Street, P.O. Box 85, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6L9 Tel: 416 590 8479 Fax: 416 226  7878 email