Temporary Resident or Non-immigration Visa

Understand the requirements for a temporary resident visa or non-immigration visa...

A temporary resident visa or non-immigration visa allows visitors or temporary workers to stay in Canada for a limited period of time. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) must be obtained before departure. The visa can be issued by an official at a Canadian border post, but should be applied for in advance at a Canadian Consulate or High Commission in the visitor's country of origin.

A temporary resident visa programme includes single and multiple entrance visas and transit visas. A fee must be paid for this visa; the fee depends on the type of temporary resident visa.

There is no fee for a transit visa. A person should apply for this type of visa at least a month in advance of their required entry to Canada. Most visitors to Canada are usually only allowed to stay in Canada for no more than six months, but some visitors on work permits can stay longer.

Study Visa

Studying in Canada requires either a study permit and an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. A student must also have already been accepted into a Canadian college or university to be able to apply for the study permit. Applicants must prove that they are able to pay for course fees and support themselves whilst studying in Canada. People taking courses in Canada which are less than six months in duration, do not need a study visa.

Work Permit

Anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident needs some form of authorisation to work in Canada. Generally, it is necessary to apply for a work permit outside of Canada and meet other requirements such as having a job offer from a Canadian employer. A work permit is not a visa. An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada is also required.

Refugee/Political Asylum

Canada offers a resettlement programme to refugees. There are three legal processes for refugees, and it is usual that applications come from referral organisations, private sponsorships or the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. While this type of visa is usually applied for outside Canada, an application can be for permanent residence in Canada.


Under the Canada-Quebec Accord Relating to Immigration and Temporary Admission of Aliens, Quebec has its own systems, procedures and authorities for dealing with migration. Quebec accepts temporary migration applications from short-term workers, businesspeople, students and refugees.