Local Administration in Montreal

Information about federal, provincial and metropolitan administration in Greater Montreal. The places to go for residency papers, driving licenses and more…

There are three levels of government administration managing different aspects of Montreal and its population.

Federal Government Services in Montreal

Service Canada provides a number of information services for newcomers on the following topics:

  • Healthcare
  • Immigration
  • Visas
  • Work and study permits
  • Permanent resident status
  • The citizenship program
  • Applying for refugee status
  • Sponsoring family members
  • For information on these and other related programs: Click here
  • Online services and forms are available on the Service Canada website: Click here

There are 10 Service Canada offices in the Montreal region. Office hours and programs at each of the offices are not necessarily the same.

  • Service Canada - main office for Montreal
    At: Guy-Favreau Complex, Suite 034, 200 Blvd. René-Lévesque West, Montreal, H2Z 1X4
    Tel: 1 800 622 6232
    Open: Monday to Friday 08:30-16:00
  • For contact information for each of the Service Canada offices in the Montreal region, and the languages spoken: Click here

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) also provides information for new immigrants in Canada.

Registering a Marriage, Birth, Death and/or Change of Name

The Directeur de l'état civil is responsible for recording and issuing birth, marriage and death certificates.

Provincial Government Services

Many of the services offered by the provincial government of Québec are similar to those offered by the federal government, but tend to be more specific in order to fall in line with provincial systems and regulations.

  • Services Québec
    At: 2050 rue de Bleury, RC 10, Montreal, H3A 2J5
    Tel: 514 644 4545
    Open: Monday to Friday 08:30-16:30
  • For contact details of regional offices: Click here

Services available include:

  • Information about government programs and services
  • Self-service computer stations
  • Services related to the land register of Québec
  • Administration-of-oath services
  • Services related to the enterprise register

Moving to Québec and Administration

A Confirmation of Permanent Residence is given to new residents on their official arrival in the country, generally at the airport when arriving by air. The Permanent Resident Card is sent by post several weeks later, but is not a replacement for the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is an essential document for new residents and must not be lost. Without this document it is not possible to apply for documents such as a driving license or health insurance card.

In addition to the Permanent Resident Card, there are three main documents that newcomers to Québec need to obtain:

  1. Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card: This is required by Canadian citizens, newcomers and temporary residents who wish to work or receive benefits from government programs in Canada. The social insurance number can be applied for online, by mail or at any Service Canada Center. For further information on applying for a Social Insurance Number, and the documents required: Click here.
  2. Driver's License: Driving licenses in Québec are issued by the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). For further information see the Guide, Exchanging a Driving Licence.
  3. Health Insurance Card: The Régie de l'assurance maladie is the government of Québec's provincial healthcare plan provider and anyone visiting a public doctor, clinic or hospital will need to show their Carte d'Assurance Maladie. New residents should apply for their card as soon as possible after arrival in order to avoid delaying the effective start date of coverage. The effective start date is generally three months after the application date; therefore new arrivals must take out private temporary health insurance to cover this period. For information on how to apply for the Carte d'Assurance Maladie: Click here. Application forms can be collected from a Services Québec office.

Health insurance

The health insurance plan is available to all citizens, permanent and temporary residents. A resident is a person who meets the following conditions:

  • Has taken up residence in Québec
  • Is in Québec temporarily to work
  • Has received a study or training scholarship
  • The spouse or the dependant of a worker or trainee, and accompanying that person

In order to remain covered by the health insurance plan, residents must be present in Québec for more than half of the year. Absences of less than 21 days do not count.

Temporary residents must notify the Régie de l'assurance maladie if they leave the province for a period of more than 21 days, otherwise they risk losing their eligibility.

  • For further information about eligibility: Click here

Non-driver Photo ID Cards

Unlike the other Canadian provinces, Québec does not issue an official non-driver photo ID card.