First Arrival in Canada

Make sure you know what to expect at the Canadian border...

Immigrants to Canada are met by a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) official who stamps a person's passport with the necessary visa.

To immigrate to Canada permanently, it is necessary to provide the Canadian border official with:

  • An immigrant visa or confirmation of permanent residency for each member of the family travelling to Canada
  • Valid passports
  • A detailed list (and copies) of household and personal items being brought to Canada, including serial numbers, makes, models and value. Restrictions apply to certain goods

Once a person has arrived in Canada it is not necessary to officially register with any local municipality. However, it is necessary to apply for a health card, a Canadian driver's licence (if required) and a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is required if you wish to work in Canada.

It is also advised that a person registers with a newcomer service organisation which assists with providing information on, for example, how to find suitable housing, find work and which can provide services such as language training if necessary.

  • To find out more about what information and assistance is available for newcomers to Canada: Click here
  • For full details of border control for new residents of Canada from CSBA: Click here