Repatriation of a Foreigner

Find out how to repatriate a body...

In the event of the death of a foreigner in Canada, follow the procedures as detailed above. The relevant consulate or embassy must also be informed about the death. They, alongside Canadian Funeral Homes, can assist with the repatriation of the body to the home country. Airport authorities will also offer guidance regarding the transportation and shipping of human remains.

If the deceased is covered by travel insurance, the insurance company will normally have a standing agreement with an international funeral director to arrange repatriations. If the deceased is not covered by insurance, the next of kin will need to find a funeral home in Canada that deals with repatriation.

Repatriation to Canada

If a Canadian citizen dies abroad, contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate or the Emergency Operations Centre of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. Consulate officials and funeral directors in Canada can assist with advice and repatriation of the body to Canada.

Further Information