Following a Death

Find out what to do following a death...

It is necessary to contact relevant government agencies to inform them about the death. The funeral director will register the death by completing the Statement of Death.

The Canada Revenue Agency should be informed of a death as soon as possible by calling 1-800-959-8281. Information sheets on settling the affairs of a deceased person are available on the CRA website

It is recommended that the following are contacted as soon as possible:

  • The funeral home which will make all the necessary arrangements. Funeral homes can be found in local yellow pages or by contacting provincial funeral regulatory boards.
  • Passport Canada: Personal documents such as passports must be cancelled. Service Canada recommends sending the deceased's passport and a copy of the death certificate to the address below so that it can be appropriately destroyed.
    • Passport Canada
      Foreign Affairs Canada
      Gatineau QC K1A 0G3
  • Social Insurance Registration: The deceased's Social Insurance Number (SIN) should be returned along with a copy of the death certificate to:
    • Social Insurance Registration
      P.O. Box 7000
      Bathurst NB E2A 4T1
  • Old Age Security and Pension Plan Benefits should also be notified of the death. This can be done by contacting Service Canada. The following information about the deceased should be provided when cancelling these services:
    • Full name
    • Date of birth
    • Date of death
    • SIN
    • Previous address
    • Name of person dealing with the deceased's affairs
  • Other benefits which may need to be cancelled include CPP disability benefits, CPP children's benefits, CPP survivor benefits
  • If the deceased was receiving Child Tax Benefits or Universal Child Care Benefits, these also need to be stopped or transferred. The CRA has details on what to do if the deceased was receiving child benefit
  • Other personal documents such as health cards and driving licences should also be carefully disposed of

Most government benefits are paid for the month in which the death took place, but any payments after this time will have to be repaid.

Current or past employers should also be contacted about any existing pension plans, as should any private health insurance companies, the landlord (if the deceased was renting), utility providers, telephone companies and so on.