English-language Schooling in Montreal

Information on English-language instruction in Montreal and Quebec and which children may be eligible to attend an English or bilingual school within Québec…

To attend an English-language or bilingual school in Québec, the child must have a certificate of eligibility issued by the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS). The relevant school or school board in the place of residence can provide parents with the necessary forms to apply for a certificate of eligibility and can forward them to MELS on behalf of the parent.

The five main English-language school boards for the Montreal area are:


In general, if the child and their parents are new permanent residents of Canada, it is not possible to obtain a certificate of eligibility to obtain English-language instruction. The child will therefore be required to attend a French-language school. The only exception to this rule is if the child attends a private school that receives no subsidies from the government. Not all private schools fall into this bracket, as many of them receive subsidies from the government.

  • For information on who is eligible to go to an English School in Quebec: Click here

Further Information

  • For a list of private schools in the Montreal area: Click here